We named our research into the broad field of connected objects just plain and simply ‘Things’. But there is a lot of different terminology out there. All terms are driven by different purposes; some are R&D speak, some are marketing talk.
This is a list of the most common terms:
1. IoT – Internet of Things (Kevin Ashton)
2. Internet of Objects
3. Social Web of Things (Ericsson)
4. Internets of Things (Forrester)
5. IoTS – Internet of Things and Services (Bosch)
6. Industrie 4.0 (Germany)
7. Industrial Internet (General Electric)
8. Internet of Everything (Cisco)
9. Web of the World (Marc Davis, Microsoft)
10. IoTSA – Internet of Things and Sensors and Actuators (Vint Cerf, Google)
11. Things That Think (MIT)
I searched for all 11 terms on Google using the “<term>” query and created a visualization of the search result data. This is a work in progress so if you have suggestions that are missing from the list, please share them in the comments.